War Merit Cross for Women
Image courtesy of Auction House Andreas Thies
Estimated market value:
A Leopold Cross constructed of bronze. The quadrants between the arms host a crowned banner with the monogram "EA". The obverse bears the inscription "FÜR AUFOPFERNDE DIENSTE IM KRIEGE" (for devoted services in war). The reverse bears the date "1914". On a loop for suspension, on a yellow bow with blue stripes.
The War Merit Cross for Women was established by Duke Ernst August on September 13, 1927. The cross was conferred upon women, regardless of rank, who contributed to the war effort of 1914-1918. Contribution to the war effort included nursing the wounded, packing parcels to be sent to army personnel, as well as other acts of charity and philanthropy. The cross was worn on a bow ribbon on the left shoulder. The War Merit Cross for Women did not have to be returned upon the recipient's death.
Sign in to comment and reply.