Guelphic Medal for War Merit in Gold
Estimated market value:
A circular medal constructed of gold. The obverse bears the bust of Prince Regent George, encompassed by the inscription "GEORG PRINZ REGENT 1815". The reverse bears the inscription "VERDIENST UMS VATERLAND" (merit for the fatherland) encompassed by a wreath of laurel. On an elongated suspension.
The Guelphic Medal for War Merit was established on August 12, 1815 by Prince Regent George, later King George IV of Great Britain and Hannover, in the name of his father, King George III of Great Britain and Hannover. The medal was conferred upon Non-Commissioned Officers and Enlisted Men who demonstrated bravery and intelligence in battle while serving with the Royal Hanoverian Army.
Men who received the award were also given a monthly monetary sum of two Reichstaler. The majority of the medals were awarded after the Battle of Waterloo on June 18, 1815. Approximately 6,000 men from Hannover fought with the King’s German Legion. Many of the Guelphic Medals for War Merit were also conferred for participation in the Napoleonic Wars from 1803 to 1815.
The VS stamp of the medal was produced by William Wyon, London. It is thought that the RS stamp was produced by Loos, Berlin. The minting of the medal took place at the Clausthal Mint until 1833, then it was minted at the royal mint in Hannover.
Sign in to comment and reply.